Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Thanksgiving Cactus Blooming for Easter

My Thanksgiving Cactus, Schlumbergera sp., blooms in mid November and often again in early spring. Here are some photos I took today.




It is my understanding that cool evening temperatures trigger flower buds to form. Evening temperatures have remained consistent all winter indoors, therefore I suspect that day length must play a role as well.  Buds began forming about a two weeks ago which is about 8 weeks after the first day of winter. If I approximate when buds began to form in the fall, I would say that it was roughly 8 weeks before the first day of winter.

Nice to have it in bloom again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for your comment. It will be reviewed before it is published so that I can avoid spam on my blog.