Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Julia Cameron on Blooming Where You're Planted

On July 4, I wrote about not feeling "at home" in my community and compared it to the Parable of the Sower. Listing my questions, doubts and uncertainty, I ended by stating that I would look more into this topic. I read today in Julia Cameron's book, The Sound of Paper, this paragraph:

"It is difficult to commit to living where we are, how we are. It is difficult and it is necessary. In order to make art, we must first make an artful life, a life rich enough and diverse enough to give us fuel. We must strive to see the beauty in where we are planted, even if we are planted somewhere that feels very foreign to our own nature. In New York, I must work to connect to the parts of the city that feed my imagination and bring me a sense of richness and diversity instead of mere overcrowding and sameness. In California, my friend must work to do the same. If we are not willing to work in this way, we become victims. If we become victims, we first become choiceless and then become voiceless. Our art dries up at the root. We must, as the elders advise us, bloom where we are planted. If we later decide that we must be transplanted, that our roots are not in soil rich enough for our spirits, at least we have tried."

Not speaking of the parable, but speaking about how I often feel, these words from Julia encourage me to do what I wrote I must do. Make sure my roots are growing and that I am flourishing to the best of my ability. Seeing God in all things because he certainly is there. I have been blessed with so much. I live in a suburban neighborhood, but when I am in the back garden or sitting on the back porch, it is easy to imagine I am in the country. I am so thankful for that.

Me in my backyard. Photo by Corina S. Alvarezdelugo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for your comment. It will be reviewed before it is published so that I can avoid spam on my blog.