Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Trying to Love Winter




In every winter's heart there is a quivering spring. 
And behind the veil of each night there is a smiling dawn.
-Kahlil Gibran


I have tried gallantly this winter to accept and embrace this season. 
This season that shuts me inside for too long a time. 
It is that time when cabin fever, or worse, the winter blues, has set in. 
I feel I can take no more of the grey days, the white ground, the confinement to the house because of hazardous driving conditions. 
I feel so alone. So desolate. 
Turning to the words of poets, I am comforted to learn that I am not alone. 
Despair from long dark days can only be overcome by believing and anticipating that spring will be here soon. 
Why do I feel I cannot lament? 
Because I don't like listening to others complain?  
Because when I do, someone is quick to correct me and to tell me to look at the positive? 

Now I must search myself for the quivering spring that is inside me. 
If I continue to live in this winter in my heart, I will become so cold and brittle. 
I feel that beginning. 
It is time to melt my inner snow and let the buds begin to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for your comment. It will be reviewed before it is published so that I can avoid spam on my blog.