Sunday, December 22, 2013

Spring Like Weather on the Second Day of Winter

Today the weather was cloudy with drizzle and high temperatures in the low 60s! I took the opportunity to plant a package of Muscari (Grape Hyacinths) bulbs which I bought on clearance a few weeks ago.

The package indicates that these bulbs are deer resistant but I have not found that to be the case. Many a year the flowers have been chomped off just as they were about to bloom. Therefore, I planted this new package of bulbs inside the Hortus Conclusus at the foot of a yellow floribunda rose.

While outside, I observed ants crawling along the wood frame of one of the raised beds. A gnat flew past me as I filled the bird feeders with sunflower seeds. A few moths came to the kitchen window, attracted to the light, just before dusk. It is interesting to me that these insects do not truly hibernate. They just rest until the temperature warms up, even if it is temporary.

I also got to see a Great Blue Heron fishing in the pond today. And two pairs of mallard ducks were visiting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for your comment. It will be reviewed before it is published so that I can avoid spam on my blog.