Sunday, December 29, 2013

Cicely Mary Barker, Natural Science Illustrator with a Whimsical Touch

One of the books I use as a resource when writing the Flower of the Month articles for the blog, 12 Months in View is by Cicely Mary Barker. It is called Flower Fairies: The Meaning of Flowers. It contains interesting folklore and wonderful illustrations. 

I bought several of her books when they were republished a few years back. I really admire her work.  Her botanical correctness; the beauty and detail of the "fairy" wings which are replications of butterfly, moth and bees wings; her keen observation of children and her ability to depict them; her costume design skills and her imaginative ability to combine these talents along with poetry and short fiction writing is incredible. The innocence and beauty of these gentle creations (to me, don't know her intentions) reflect the love and care our Creator took and continues to take in forming us and this world. The Flower Fairies are a delight for all ages!

I have decided to post her fairy after each Flower of the Month article article. (The year is almost done, so yes, I am doing this in reverse, sort of. More like inserting extra pages into an unbound book.) Link to them all here.

It is my hope that these images will inspire you to take a closer look at the flowers, insects and children and see the same beauty and wonder that Cicely found in them.

You can find out about Cicely and which are of her books are in print by visiting this website:

http://www.flowerfairies.com/US_version/meet_the_author.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for your comment. It will be reviewed before it is published so that I can avoid spam on my blog.